The main event on our calendar is back and it's better than ever.
On Saturday, April 30th, Independent Bookstore Day 2016 is being celebrated all across the country and Island Books is one of dozens of participating stores in the region. We're all taking part in the larger cause, but we're also celebrating it in our own way, too, because, you know ... we're independent.
This day-long festival includes a special loyalty card that will earn you a 25% discount on all purchases for an entire year if you get a full set of stamps at Seattle-area stores that day. All stores will also be featuring a number of signed books, prints, and other products from your favorite authors and illustrators. These will be available exclusively from indie shops and only on this day--first come, first served. In addition, we'll have a full slate of activities happening all day, including:
- Pick up an IBD2016 passport and get it stamped. If you visit us and at least two other participating stores (all listed on the back) you’ll be entered into a drawing for great prizes, including gift certificates and signed books. If you visit all the participating stores in one day, you’ll earn the title of Grand Champion, our eternal thanks, and a year-long 25% discount at all stores on all purchases.
- Free coffee and doughnuts in the morning, drinks in the evening, and tasty treats throughout the day. Pause and refresh!
- A special kickoff performance from singer-songwriter Nancy Stewart at 9:30am. Fun for the whole family, especially the smallest members.
- An in-store scavenger hunt. After more than four decades in operation, Island Books is full of history that we want to share. Find a dozen select objects in the store, aided by our clues, and we’ll reward you with a fabulous prize–could be a discount card, your pick of Advance Reader Copies of forthcoming books, or something even better.
- Roll the Dice. All purchases over $25 win you a tumble and a chance to win. You might take home something small and wonderful, or you might just win a gift certificate worth even more than you paid.
- Tell your story. Whether you met your future spouse in an indie bookstore or just discovered the perfect book at the perfect time, we want to know about it. Type up the tale on one of our vintage typewriters and help us write the collective epic of our island.
- Author visits. Local writers will be on hand to make recommendations, sign books, and share their love of indie bookstores. Jen Longo, author of Six Feet Over It, will be dispensing advice from 10am to noon. Claire Gebben, author of The Last of the Blacksmiths, will be on hand from noon to 2pm. Michael Sherer, author of the new Mercer Island-set thriller Blind Rage, will be here from 3 to 4pm.
Among the limited number of remarkably cool exclusive items:
- Signed copies of two-time Newbery-winner Kate DiCamillo's new novel, Raymie Nightingale
- Limited-edition "Read With Me" Curious George plush doll
- Neil Gaiman coloring book
- Dramatic wall art featuring Fran Lebowitz's famous admonition to "Think before you speak; read before you think."
- Literary tea towels for your kitchen and library (you keep books in your cabinets, right?)
- Bookstore cats pencil pouch
Don't miss out! Arrive early and stay all day!